The Wyld Circle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Wyld Circle

A welcoming community of Pagan Furries

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Beltane, AHOY!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
DreamingWyld
Admin
DreamingWyld

Beltane, AHOY! Empty
PostSubject: Beltane, AHOY!   Beltane, AHOY! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 7:38 am

Alright, since we missed Ostara completely >> I dunno about you but i'm looking forward to Beltane. One of my favorite sabbats!

So here's a little about it:

Most important to pagans, save for Samhain, I don't know of any Pagan group that doesn't celebrate this holiday in some way. Beltane is the great Fertility rite of life, starting at dusk on the 30th and continuing until the dawn of the 1st. The union of the God and Goddess to conceive the sun-child to be takes place upon this holiday, no matter which tradition of paganism is involved. Beltane is the one holiday most discouraged by the Christians, who didn't even use it as a point for a holiday of their own because the power and nature of the day involved. Still, even in Christianized Ireland the May day dance of the Maypole remained, as did the giving of flowers to those you loved or cared for as friends. The Maypole is a symbol of the union of the God and Goddess to create life, the pole itself a phallic symbol while the dancers and their streamers or vines of flowers represent the fertile womb of the goddess as it takes in the Phallus of the god and takes in his seed. Besides the Maypole often a bonfire is present, and members of the group are encouraged to jump the flames for luck and their own fertility. Food, drink and love are the order of the evening. In most sects the celebration of unions of love are enacted. Beltane is the time of many marriages/handfastings in the pagan community (in some it is the point where one chooses to begin and end relationships of a physical nature). Clothing is very optional in most get-togethers on this holiday, and mostly it is sensual and colorful. Even those sects that are prudish about things tend to accept the rules of the holiday, as it is the holiday of free love. It is said that a child conceived on this day will grow up to wield great power and knowledge and to be healthier than upon any other.

And more!

Date: May 1st

Correspondences of Beltane
Astrology: The Sun is in Taurus during this time

Lunar: Waxing gibbous

Deities: Bel, Mabon, Pan, Apollo, Balder, Freya

Colors: Green, white, black

Herbs: All flowers blooming in May, lily of the valley, rose, hawthorn, apple, heather, yarrow, rosemary, tulips

Alter decorations: Spring flowers or wreaths of flowers, candles

Beltane is a fire festival, and is about both sexuality and purification. An old Celtic tradition involved two large fires being set up. The people would pass between these two fires to purify themselves. Water for cleansing was also often used during the preparation of the ritual.

The ultimate in happy sabbats x3 I love this sabbat so much, and i've never gotten to take part in anything like it yet. Sadly! However, it still remains as a favorite for the spirit of the day, how people celebrate it, and the joy it radiates! Not to mention i get to put down some good ol' fashioned worship to Cernunnous X3~

Hope everyone has a good Beltane!
Back to top Go down
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/dreamingwyld

Beltane, AHOY!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Wyld Circle :: Path :: Seasons and Sabbats-
Jump to: